Alert: Nine DEAD In London-Area Canadian ‘Flesh-Eating’ Bacterial Outbreak!
The Medical Unit in London, Ontario, Canada had declared nine people have died from a bacterial infection outbreak. The outbreak, declared eighteen months ago, has been slowly getting worse.
The Middlesex-London Health Unit says more than 132 cases of infection have been reported since April 1, 2016. Of those cases, 22 percent required treatment in intensive care, 15 percent had Streptococcal Toxic Shock Syndrome and 15 percent had necrotizing fasciitis – also called “flesh-eating” disease.
The bacteria are spread by direct contact with nose and throat secretions from an infected person, or by direct contact with infected wounds or sores on the skin. While the infections can occur year-round, the health unit said Monday that the number of infections tends to increase during the winter.
Associate Medical Officer of Health Dr. Gayane Hovhannisyan said about half of the cases have been among injection drug users and/or people without access to stable housing. However, Hovhannisyan said the alert has been issued because the health unit is seeing an increase in infections among people who have no connection to the outbreak. “We need a better understanding of what’s happening, which is why we’ve issued this alert,” she said Monday in a news release.