Boris Johnson has resigned as foreign secretary, Downing Street confirms.
Statement from Downing Street:
“This afternoon, the prime minister accepted the resignation of Boris Johnson as foreign secretary. His replacement will be announced shortly. The prime minister thanks Boris for his work.”
Andrea Leadsom, the leader of the House of Commons, has refused to say whether Theresa May is secure in her job amid her latest cabinet crisis.
When asked whether the prime minister was safe, she would only answer: “Theresa is absolutely sticking to delivering the will of the people.”
— Sky News (@SkyNews) July 9, 2018
- Boris Johnson quits as foreign secretary, following David Davis
- Mr Davis resigned last night following cabinet meeting at Chequers
- Dominic Raab appointed Brexit secretary, new foreign secretary to come
- Former Brexit secretary says PM ‘has gone too far’ in bowing to Brussels
- Department colleague Steve Baker also gone, but Suella Braverman stays
- Theresa May ‘fighting for her job’ – analysis from Sky’s Faisal Islam