Brave man who stood up to Munich shooter now facing prosecution for ‘INSULTING killer’
Thomas Salbey, 57, saw the shooting happening from his balcony in the Bavarian capital on July 22.
In an attempt to stop 18 year old Ali Sonboly from further slaughtering people, he swore at the shooter as he was standing in a car park below.
Sonboly shouted at him: “I am a German.”
Footage of the feisty exchange went viral as thousands praised Mr Salbey for standing up to the deluded teenager.
The plucky German also hurled a beer bottle at the attacker in a desperate attempt to stop him.
He said: “All I had was a beer bottle to throw at him, but if I had a gun I would have shot him in the head.”
Loner Sonboly had just shot dead nine people, mainly young teenagers he had lured to McDonald’s on the premise of free food.
The German-Iranian also injured 16 others during the rampage before he killed himself a kilometre away from the Munich Olympiad shopping centre he carried the shooting out at.
Now, in a twist of German justice, Mr Salbey is now facing charges for standing up to the killer who shot himself in the head.
Florian Weinzierl, spokesman from the Munich State Prosecutor’s office, confirmed the Munich resident is being investigated.
He said the post-shooting exchange between Mr Salbey and Sonboly had no influence on their actions.
What will be included in the charges remains to be established, as it whether they will be brought forward.
But Mr Weinzierl, suggested they could include “insults to the detriment of the dead.”
According to the spokesman, a court review will be completed soon.
Shortly after the shooting, it was revealed Sonboly considered himself Aryan, despite his Iranian heritage, and held racist view, including a deep hatred for Turks and Arabs.
Iran is considered to be the home of the Aryan race and Sonboly was said to be proud of his Iranian ancestry despite his dislike for neighbouring countries in the Middle East.
The right-wing killer also said it was an “honour” to have shared his birthday – April 20 – with Nazi leader Adolf Hitler.
Materials found at the gunman’s home also showed he had been hospitalised for three months to treat a mental health condition and was an avid player of violent video games.
One of the games, ‘Counter Strike: Source’, was a game “played by nearly every known rampage killer”, according to the president of Bavaria’s crime office, Robert Heimberger.
Detectives believe the gunman was also inspired by Norwegian mass killer Anders Breivik, and likely staged the shooting on the fifth anniversary of Breivik’s massacre of 77 people.